After upgrading my good old dell 2407wfp for a 34 inch ultrawide I came across a problem with application windows positions. Every time the new monitor woke up from sleeping, applications were repositioned to some smaller resolution. I found this solution on R Caloca blog:
TLDR: idle_session_timeout must not be zero.
Recently updated Debian server from Wheezy to Jessie left my SSL only vsftpd based FTP access crippled. Total Commander didn’t return any error, but log said:
SSL_read returned -1, SSL_get_error=1
SSL_read returned -1, SSL_get_error=5, ERR_get_error=0
Socket error: 10054
For a while now Flash player for Firefox is upmixing stereo sound to all device channels. So if you happen to have a multichannel sound device (let’s say 5.1 HDMI audio connection to A/V receiver), you are in for a surprise remix of your favorite videos.
I’ve been quite annoyed by this “feature” of our beloved Adobe for a while now.There is no way to alter this behavior, and the upmixing itself is done badly. Today I found a solution posted on Superuser StackExchange by user e-t172. And it works!
I stumbled on a strange problem with VMware remote consoles few days ago. I use VMware vSphere Center daily for managing our virtual machines and all of a sudden the button for opening remote consoles stopped working. It froze the whole vSphere Center for a couple of seconds and then acted like nothing happened. No error was generated, and no console window either. I haven’t tried to open VM console until then that day and Center was running from early morning. Not needing console urgently I presumed tomorrow’s clean boot will solve the problem…
Next day the problem persisted so I found some time to look into it. Turns out I installed an old webcam for video conference the other day and its drivers included a process called FixCamera.exe. With that killed vSphere Center remote consoles immediately started showing up.
I’ve had this “Could not reconnect all network drives” annoyance for quite some time now, but never found the time to fix it. In short, since my new machine with Windows 7 I get this error almost on every boot for all my persistent network drives. Applications alone are unable to get to data on these drives until user manually clicks on it in Windows Explorer or Total Commander. The (double) click instantly reconnects the drive without any problem. First, a little background…
I was getting to try VMWare ESXi for a while now, but somehow didn’t have the necessary hardware, NIC being the biggest trouble. So I went and bought a brand new Intel network adapter and put it in my primary desktop along with an empty HDD for testing.
I wanted to disconnect my primary drives, just in case… that would be in accordance with me being a coward. However, I was afraid of something else, too. I have Intel Matrix RAID set up (very neat thing), which is software raid. I don’t really trust this controller to pick up the RAID setting after reconnecting my drives. So I figured, I will just have to be careful choosing the right drive to erase.
I have a blog now. yey.
I don’t plan to write a lot, but sometimes interesting things happen, which I want to share, or just keep somewhere for me to remember.
I honestly am not sure yet, what type of content will find its way here… we’ll just have to wait and see :) If nothing else, I’ll be improving my English :)